Thursday, January 27, 2011

Section 1: Defining the field




Chapter 1 discusses how the field of Instructional Design has had many different names & definitions over the last several years. I believe that Instructional Design meaning and name will continue to change as the field grows. This chapter was beneficial to me because I received my Bachelors Degree in Instructional Training & Design and this chapter gave me a background of my field of study. I always felt that i knew the meaning of ID, but I had difficulty explaining to others what it meant. To simplify the meaning of this field, I would define Instructional Design as learning through the use of technology.

The Dick, Carey, and Carey Model of Instructional Design are similar to the characteristics and the overall definition. In my opinion, in order for Instructional Design activities to be successful teachers must insure the first characteristic; which is the Instructional Design is Learner Centered. A learner centered classroom will allow students to have a voice and helps engage students in participating in class activities. Next characteristic is that Instructional Design is goal oriented. With all things that have success goals were usually made. Instructional Design is goal oriented and helps the learning process and could be part of the meaning of Instructional Design. This point relates to the model by the evaluating process. In order to be sure students are learning you should set goals and to ensure they have been met you must evaluate. I wouldn’t use characteristic 3 because I think focusing on performance ties into evaluating and goal reaching. Characteristic 4, Instructional Design assumes outcomes can be measured in a reliable and valid way. Characteristic 4 is important and relates to the model and meaning by analyzing outcomes in a way that works. Instructional Design allows you to measure performance by using several hardware and software tools. Measuring student’s performance by allowing them to show by doing is a much more valid way to measures performance than a method like a pencil paper multiple choice test. Characteristic 5 relates to the model by the use of implementation. It’s important to test material and if the results aren’t what you expected you can add strategies are implement new things into your curriculum. Last but not least characteristic 6; Instructional Design is a team effort.  In order for this method to work there has to be a team of creators, educators, & learners. The Dick, Carey Model and the 6 Characteristics relationship is a important aspect of learning with the use of Instructional Design. The model and Characteristics make up the meaning of Instructional Design.

Chapter 3 discusses how the internet will be a major influence on how instruction will be delivered to educate students. I couldn’t agree more, rather than teachers using old methods they use technology to educate students. I think it’s so amazing to watch my 7 year old niece work on her assignments and use the internet as a research tool. Not only does she know how to research online, but she has an email account, and she also knows how to text me from her blackberry. I say it is amazing how knowledgeable this age group is, but I must say it is a bit scary at the same time. Who knows how high tech kids will be in 30 years, will they even be kids or will they be little grownups? In today’s schools teachers are using Web 2.0 tools to help engage students. One of the most popular Web 2.0 tool is Blogger. Blogger is a fun way to connect and communicate with your class. Grade levels k-12, Higher Education and Adult Education benefit from using Blogger. Blogger is used for many different educational purposes. For instance, Educators use Blogger to post assignments, Lecture notes, and class information. In the near future I see Blogger being used as a major communication tool for teachers and parents, group project communication tool, journaling, etc. A major plus for users is that Blogger is available 24 hours a day and it’s easy to manage and update. I enjoy this tools and I would use it in my classroom if I was a teacher.  

2 comments:

  1. It should be interesting to see your perspective as a instructional designer as apposed to the teacher that implements the designs you create.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My certification is basic business. I believe the class is actually called Web Technologies. It is under the Information Technology cluster, but I can teach it with the business certification.

    ReplyDelete