Thursday, February 17, 2011

Section 4: Human Performance Technology

I am answering the following questions as best as I can with my line of work being a student worker at Texas A&M Commerce. 

Chapter 14 discusses the concept of the evolution of human performance improvement. Several sections of chapter 14 present a variety of non instructional solutions to performance problems. Identify a performance problem in your area of work and provide a non instructional solution to solve the problem.   

I work as a student worker on campus for the TRiO Department. One of the programs that fall under TRiO is the Upward Bound program. This is a pre collegiate program that prepares high school students for college. One problem that we run into is that students aren’t taking care of business in a timely manner. In order to see where students are with their college applications and fafsa, I simply schedule a time to discuss and look over documents for college enrollment. During this meeting we design a timeline and also any questions they have are answered. I also ask students to bring all documents with them. This way I’m able to see what has been completed and what hasn’t. 

Chapter 15 presents several definitions of electronic performance support systems. In addition to these definitions, locate a few more and indicate your preference explaining why you prefer it. Additionally, describe why you believe EPSS have not been widely used and if they are more likely be become more prevalent in the future. 

Electronic performance support system is great software to use in my opinion. EPSS allows 24 hour assistance online for employees in need of information. I prefer this software because I like the idea of being able to go online at anytime to get answers to question I have. One reason this software may not be of use for most institutions is because of available trainers. I don’t think that this software will become more prevalent in the future because most institutions have trainers. Trainers can assist you with everything this software can but trainers are there to go beyond the information on EPSS. For some employees EPSS could be overwhelming because of the information load. I would enjoy this software but I would also like a trainer to be available to instruct trainings.

Knowledge management is the way we manage information, share that information, and use it. Organizations, such as schools, are full of information/data and we must organize that data in a way that we can make sense of it. We use data to make decisions and good data=good decision making. Identify a real or hypothetical problem in your line of work. How might a blended learning approach, including the use of a knowledge management system, be use to solve the problem? 

Working as a student worker who works with high school students, I sometimes have to deal with discipline issues. Students look at me as not being too much older than them and they sometimes act as if they don’t have to follow the rules. All of our students have notebooks that they must have to get in the doors of the upward bound program. In these notebooks I would have rules plus the consequences of not following these rules. At the top of the rule sheet it would state “Rules given by directors, teachers, and STUDENT WORKERS must be followed or there will be consequences.” I would include this because the student workers are a big part of this program and we work with the students more than any other employee. When things are in writing students tend to take them more seriously. These are rules that the UB program have had for years but having this information in writing will remind them of the behavior that we ask for. This would be a learning approach because we are teaching students that there are always consequences with bad choices. UB goes by a point system that determines the money that students will get. If there is one thing that teenagers want its more money to buy games, clothes, etc. Students will see in the rule sheet that talking back or not following instructions will cause a 5 dollar deduction off of their next check.  Reminding them that they are losing money and time that they need for college prep will eliminate some bad behavior. I am an Alumni Upward Bound student and the informational rule sheet would have worked for me. The knowledge management that I would use would be to simply give the students the information rule sheet and consequences in writing so that students are clear of all rules.

Describe the types of informal learning you have been exposed to in your adult life. What was the purpose? What was the experience like? Was it engaging? Social? What role did you play? What role did the instructor play? 

I have been exposed to several informal learning opportunities. One of the most beneficial learning experiences that I have been a part of was a bible study group at a friend’s house.  The purpose of this small group learning session was clearly to become more knowledgeable of the bible. The experience was amazing because I felt more comfortable therefore it was easier to ask more questions to better understand. It was very engaging because of being close friends with the group.  I played the role of reading and discussing the meaning of verses just as the others.  The friend whose house we were over acted as the instructor because it was at her house I’m assuming.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the Upward Bound program uses a form of informal learning by your being an alumnus. By you're having gone through the program and now working in that area, you have become a valuble resource.

    ReplyDelete